Many clients ask, “what food is healthy”? In truth, there is a lot of different opinions in the nutrition field about this topic. Additionally, people can’t always eat certain foods due to food allergies, medications, and other health related issues. I’m not a doctor or a dietician; however, I do a fair amount of research on the topic and like to share what I find with my clients and friends. If you have any doubts about a food or pairing, check with your doctor or dietician.
Last week, NPR published an article called “Dynamic Duos: How To Get More Nutrition By Pairing Foods” which can be found on http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/24/413122931/dynamic-duos-how-to-get-more-nutrition-by-pairing-foods. Here are some of the highlights:
- Eating eggs with your salad helps boost absorption of carotenoids — the pigments in tomatoes and carrots. Carotenoids such as beta carotene and lycopene are phytonutrients that help fight inflammation. Absorption was 3.8-fold higher when the salad included three eggs compared to no eggs. Monroe Hypnosis verdict: I will be eating and making more Cobb salads.
- You’ll get more plant-based iron from black beans if you eat them with something rich in vitamin C, like red pepper. Monroe Hypnosis verdict: peppers will now be a part of every burrito I make.
- Calcium + Vitamin D. Vitamin D helps calcium absorption which, in turn, may help with increasing bone density. Monroe Hypnosis verdict: Many milk producers add Vitamin D for this reason.
- For a complete vegetarian protein: combine humus and whole wheat bread. Monroe Hypnosis verdict: a great way to get protein with a salad when a meat choice isn’t desired or unavailable.
- Adding black pepper to turmeric makes the anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties of nutrients in turmeric easier to access (by 2,000 percent). Monroe Hypnosis verdict: a great way to spice up your food life for many different vegetables and meats.
Monroe Hypnosis article verdict: I will be adding some new custom suggestions to my diet so that I can enjoy the above health benefits. Adding spices to meat adds flavors without a lot of calories adding eggs and oil based dressings to salads could add protein and absorb more nutrients that reduce inflammation.